ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Located in the heart of scenic San Luis Obispo County, Cuesta College has provided comprehensive associate degree offerings, certificates, and community programs to the region since 1964. Committed to being an inclusive institution that inspires a diverse student population to achieve their educational goals, we are proud to be designated as an Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) by the U.S. Department of Education. Cuesta College is committed to racial and socioeconomic diversity that reflects our student population; we strive to hire candidates that share the value of commitment to diversity and inclusion.
As part of the Cuesta College team, you can expect to be part of a collaborative community of faculty, classified staff, administrators, students, and community partners advancing educational excellence with intentional support services leading to student success and completion.
Additional information about the college can be found at
The college planning documents can be found at
Our Student Equity Action Plan can be found at
We offer comprehensive benefit options. Information about benefits can be found at
Under direction of the Executive Director of Foundation/Institutional Advancement plan, conceptualize, organize, and produce professional, creative, and custom graphic design and layout for high profile marketing materials (such as class schedules, catalogs, print advertising and other marketing collateral.) Performs other related duties as required.
The Graphic Designer is distinguished from other positions by the requirement to understand and master technical aspects of computer generated design and production; understand printing techniques and processes; and understand and master technical aspects of web page development and design. This position requires a high level understanding and implementation of the principles of marketing, and supports a broad spectrum of administrative and instructional processes and activities. The incumbent must be detail-oriented, deadline-driven and able to juggle multiple assignments while maintaining a high degree of accuracy and creativity; consequence of error in this position is significant. This position requires interaction with multiple managerial, departmental and staff positions, and requires a combination of interpersonal and professional/technical knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Conceptualize, develop and produce professional layouts using a variety of computer software programs;
- Develop bid specifications and oversee all bidding of work to outside contractors and printers;
- Direct and manage the bidding of all design projects for the college that are out-sourced to contractors;
- Coordinate, conceptualize and design print advertising;
- Conceptualize and design modifications to the campus web page to reach a variety of target audiences;
- Conceptualize and design modifications to the web templates for use by other departments;
- Coordinate all pre-production and production of printed materials;
- Conceptualizes and designs materials for posting to the Internet; produces signage and other display materials where necessary;
- Develop bid specifications and oversee the bidding of all printed materials and perform press checks as needed;
- Convert existing text to HTML or PDF files;
- Convert graphics to web formats; up-load files to server; integrate files into website;
- Schedule work to meet deadlines;
- Create signs and display materials for special events; and
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in graphic design or the creative arts;
- Formal education in computerized design;
- At least four years of experience in graphic design, graphic communications, or graphic production, which includes at least three years in desktop publishing;
- Knowledge of printing techniques; and
- Understanding of the principles of marketing and advertising.
- Macintosh and PC platforms and a variety of current desktop publishing software;
- Use and application of a wide variety of instructional media materials used in the college level learning process;
- Programs associated with photo manipulation, design, pre-production and post-production including file management and archiving;
- Printing processes and techniques, including screen printing, offset printing and digital printing;
- Multimedia software programs;
- Web graphics development, HTML/CSS authoring software and website management software;
- Current technologies, personal computer, and associated office software such as word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and/or database software;
- Correct usage of English, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary; and
- District policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the performance of duties; and
- Demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of staff and students and of staff and students with physical and learning disabilities.
Physical ability to:
- Read and comprehend printed matter and text and data on computer monitors;
- Communicate intelligibly and effectively via speech, telephone, written correspondence, and/or email;
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time;
- Lift and/or carry 40 pounds; and
- Exert manual dexterity sufficient for keyboard and other office equipment operation.
License and Certificates (current within the last year):
- Valid driver’s license and eligible to obtain California driver’s license upon hire.
Required Documents: Candidates will be required to submit a cover letter, resume, reference list, portfolio samples, and unofficial transcripts when applying for this position. When uploading documents, PDF uploads are preferred.
Reference List Instructions: Your reference list must include three professional references, their contact information and their relationship to you.
Portfolio Instructions: In order to apply, you must upload a digital link or a PDF document that includes previous examples of professional graphic design artwork including print, digital, and other marketing and graphic communications materials. Must submit a minimum of 10 examples. If necessary, you can upload multiple documents selecting “Portfolio” as the attachment type.
Completed online applications and all supporting documents must be submitted by the closing date for this position. LATE, INCOMPLETE, FAXED, MAILED OR EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Below is the full salary schedule range for this position, steps A through E. Per our bargaining agreement, we can only place new employees at Steps A through C, which is the anticipated hiring range also listed below. For a full salary schedule, please see our website: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/humanresources/salary_schedules.html
- Salary Schedule Range: $4,365 – $5,306 per month.
- Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,365 – $4,813 per month.
Cuesta College will not sponsor any visa applications.
San Luis Obispo County Community College District (“Cuesta College”) is an equal opportunity employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), age, disability (physical and mental), genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal and state law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Cuesta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.
In compliance with California law, all prospective staff and students are entitled to read the Annual Security Report, published each October by the Cuesta College Department of Public Safety. This report contains information about our emergency and crime reporting procedures, as well as crime statistics for the past 3 years. You may request a copy of this report at one of our two Public Safety Offices: on SLO campus at Building 6600A or on North County Campus at building N1021, during campus business hours. You may also access the complete text of this report at the following website address: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/publicsafety/clery_act
Selected applicants will be invited to attend a Zoom interview and skills test on Tuesday, February 16, 2021.