You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You’ll work with dynamic colleagues – experts in their fields – who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you’ll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients – who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
This role is accountable for the finance function for Sun Life International (Bermuda) as part of the overall Sun Life International HuBS (“HuBS”) business, including all facets of SL International’s financial performance, controls and reporting obligations. This includes complete oversight and management of SL International’s treasury & banking, vendor management, payroll finance, financial planning and analysis, financial reporting, capital management, budgeting, and accounting & control.
Additionally, this role will have management oversight responsibility (with a direct reporting team) for SL International’s closed Wealth business’ product and account management function, and as such, will have general accountability for the day-to-day management and performance of the Wealth business.
- Overall management of the Bermuda entities’ financial performance, controls and reporting obligations, including development, direction and analysis of financial operations and resolving problems.
- Management of SL International’s vendors, treasury, banking and payments.
- On-island payroll finance and control.
- Preparation, review and presentation of all local financial reporting in Bermuda to Sun Life leadership, including commentary to explain key drivers of results and actual versus plan variances.
- Statutory reporting to regulatory bodies as required.
- Capital management in Bermuda.
- On-island internal control and audit support by liaising with internal and external auditors and other Sun Life functions as needed.
- Directs and develops activities related to expense management, FP&A, IFRS 17 and strategic finance and analysis.
- Continuous assessment of processes and systems to make improvements to increase efficiencies.
- Lead, coach and develop a best-in-class finance team spanning multiple locations.
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with Asia Regional Office (RO) and Corporate partners in support of achieving business objectives.
- Perform duties of a general nature as may be required from time to time by management.
- Undergraduate degree in business or related field (e.g. finance, accounting, economics, actuarial science) and an accounting or actuarial designation (e.g.CPA, CA, FSA, FCIA) are required.
- 10+ years’ experience in finance or related disciplines including management and oversight experience.
- Technical expertise and acumen in life insurance finance and profitability, with a preference towards Canadian or similar principle-based accounting standards.
- Proven self-starter able to lead effectively and work quite independently.
- Willingness to work some non-standard hours, oftentimes having to liaise with other Sun Life offices after regular office hours, due to these being located in other time zones.
- Strong, hands-on technical, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Self-motivated, organized and able to manage multiple tasks with a high degree of accuracy while working toward challenging goals and deadlines.
- A strong team player with demonstrated experience collaborating with others and in managing teams effectively.
- Has a strong commercial mindset, able to devise practical solutions to complex business problems.
- Takes accountability for his / her own performance and that of the team.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to confidently and clearly communicate complex issues to a variety of audiences.
- Strong influencing skills to engage senior leadership and partners
- Values diversity and inclusion and works hard to build an inclusive and respectful workplace.